The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) regulates the standards for the development, learning, and care of children from birth to 5 years old. The EYFS framework supports an integrated approach to early learning and care. It gives all teaching professionals a set of common principles and commitments to deliver quality early education and childcare experiences to all the pupils enrolled in their schools.
The EYFS has four themes (enlisted below) that underpin all the guiding principles that are being followed by almost all the best nursery schools in Dubai, to give the parents the confidence that every day their child is under the due care and affection and they are learning new skills to set them up for life.
- A Unique Child
- Positive Relationship
- Enabling Environment
- Learning and Development
Under the four main themes, the EYFS have identified five areas of learning and development which are used by the nursery teaching staff when planning and providing opportunities for each and every child of their school. These are essential skills and knowledge which enable the children to participate successfully in society, giving them an education that sets them up for life past nursery.
- PERSONAL SOCIAL & EMOTIONAL DEVELOPMENT – The nursery school teachers always support children’s emotional well-being so that they can know themselves better and what steps they can abide by to build up their self-confidence, thus enabling them to manage their own feelings and behavior.
- PHYSICAL DEVELOPMENT – The best nursery schools in Dubai helps children in making their first moves to the tunes of songs, handling of books, colors & other things, thus making them ready for the big school and the outer world. Furthermore, the pupils are also taught about the importance of physical activities in their life and their ability to make healthy choices in relation to food.
- COMMUNICATION & LANGUAGE – The children are offered a wide range of opportunities to develop their communication skills. They are encouraged to use their skills in a range of situations and for a variety of purposes for language development. Teachers also boost confidence of their children by making them use their listening, understanding and speaking skills in various school activities.
- LITERACY AND MATHEMATICS – The children are always taught to enjoy reading and writing and to develop their skills in mathematics and literacy. The children are also made to explore, learn, practice and enjoy their developing understanding of numbers, shapes, and measures.
- UNDERSTANDING THE WORLD – Children are made aware of the world through various activities, such as asking them to participate in practical experiments, helping them learn more about plants & animals, and asking parents to help their children plant vegetables in their own gardens. Thereafter, children are asked to express and communicate ideas and to respond to their experiences.
Child development is not an automatic process. It all depends on the child, as all of them are unique and they are also given different opportunities to interact in positive relationships and learning environment. The staff of best nursery schools in Dubai, which follow EYFS curriculum, work in line with the guiding principles of the EYFS to help parents in better development of their children.